Saturday, May 28, 2011

Boiled Peanuts...

One of the things I love about the south is Boiled Peanuts.  Since there were people on our trip who hadn't yet experienced them, we stopped at this great little family store that had boiled peanuts advertized on their board out front.  We stopped to find the neatest little market complete with all sorts of fruits and canned goods (made by the lady in the photos).   She was cooking the most delicious smelling food when we were there, some sort of italian sauce that she was going to be canning that involved a whole lot of eggplant.  You'll see in the photos, the colonel was asking her all about it and she invited the colonel right into her kitchen to see what she was cooking!  Great little mom and pop store, complete with a little tyke running around.  I got the feeling that this was their home and they lived upstairs, though I'm not sure about that.

The trip was an amazing experience, and meeting people along the way is what it is all about.  I wish this were a corner store in my own hometown so I could shop there on a regular basis to support this woman's family, but I guess for now a bag of boiled peanuts and the memories must suffice.  I am looking forward to the next trip, hoping for just as many great experiences and new friends.

Until we meet again,
Kristen


Boiled Peanuts










No comments: