Tuesday, April 28, 2009

NOLA 2 Tuesday

Today I had a petty moment.  Very petty.  

My team went out to a new site out in Mandeville.  Our team didn't have a bathroom onsite, so we went over to Wendy's so a couple ladies could engage in bathroom activities.  (No need to be specific, I suppose).  Jill and I were talking about painting, and said it would be nice to have some cups or something to use for paint for dipping the brush in for cutting.  I had the brilliant idea of using chili cups from Wendy's.  I ran in and explained to them that we were from Minnesota and helping rebuild their community (not exactly in those words, but I tried to convey that) and could I get three cups they us for chili?  They said that was "product" and they couldn't give it away.  I was surprised (Don't they want to help us?-  feel free to detect a little arrogance on my part) and asked how much it would cost to buy the cups.  They don't sell the cups.  OK Fine.  "Give me three orders of chili, but without the meat or sauce."  I'm not kidding.  I was going to make a point.  It was going to cost me almost $5.00.  But I got those cups.  She asked if I wanted the lids.  I said OF COURSE I did!  

That's not the worst part.  When we left town, I stopped back in and said I didn't get the spoons and could I have them please?  

I felt like I was entitled to those cups.  Who in their right mind wouldn't just fork them over?  I realize now, how absurd that sounds, but at the time, I was offended.  So once I got over myself, I thought about assumptions and what we think we deserve, and attitudes about serving, and motivations about serving.  Because I feel like we're not getting much done this time.  We're not meeting our home owners (for the most part), we're not getting out into the community much.  And I have to remind myself that this about following God where HE is leading, and serving God where HE calls us.  And maybe this trip isn't about all the interactions with the community, but with each other.  Lewis did a devotion last night about supporting each other as God's traveling workers.  And at devotions today, Ali and Mari talked about how we are like Social Workers, which can be a thankless job.  

I don't want to be thankless.  I want to be thankful.  Thank you, God for calling me/us.  I am grateful for the opportunity to be here at this time with these people, serving His people, without expectation or condition.  

The other stuff:

*Howard's team kept working on their house.
*Darold's team got a new house about a half hour out where they (we) are painting, cleaning, and will be laying laminate flooring.  I'm not going to say that the floor in this house isn't level, but playing marbles in this house would be a challenge, and someone sleeping could possibly roll off the bed...
*and AMAZING pot roast for dinner!  Thank you Ginger and Barbara!
* Ice Cream and Apples to Apples game for fun
* Devotions by Kathy tonight.  
* We are going to New Orleans tomorrow. 

Thanks to those that are supporting us and praying for us.  

Prayer requests:
Pastor Carolyn's son is having a hard time with her being gone.  (We think that's why he "doesn't feel good.")
Jeff did something to his knee.  Pray that it feels better
Team unity
The Homeowners we are working for.  
Ralph P. from Hale, Michigan.  -  struggling with cancer

Check out Erin's post on the blog, and click on the link to see more pictures on our Picasa site.  www.rodscof.blogspot.com  

Peace!
Rod


--
The spiritual life cannot be made suburban.  It is always frontier, and we who live in it must accept and even rejoice that it remains untamed.
--  Howard Macey

No comments: