Wednesday, April 03, 2013

NOLA 7 countdown

Hello everyone!

I have spent a big chuck of time trying to get this distribution list into shape.  If you are getting this email and you don't want to, please let me know and I will take you off immediately.  I think I asked everyone permission to put you on here, and left some on that never responded, and left some on that I haven't heard from yet, and maybe missed taking some off that asked to be removed.  

So update for NOLA 7-  We are leaving on April 13th for our next trip to the Gulf.  We decided to go back to New Orleans because of Hurricane Isaac that hit last summer.  There are currently 27 people on the team leaving next weekend.  I would guess that about one-third are new to our group.  It should be an exciting team and an exciting trip.  

We are having a fundraiser this weekend at Crossroads United Methodist in Inver Grove Hts.  (formerly known as Salem United Methodist)  It is a chili cookoff/silent auction/jazz concert all in one.  Crossroads is on the corner of Upper 55th and Hwy 52 in Inver Grove Hts.  Starts at 5:30pm on Sat. April 6th.  If you are interested in coming and need better directions than that, give me a shout and I'll make sure you get there.  If you happen to have something you think would raise a lot of bucks at our silent auction and you want to donate it, please give me a shout.  If you want to compete in the chili cook off- again, let me know and we'll get you the "rules" and make sure you have a table.  We do have two celebrity judges for the chili cook off.  Gregg Swope and his wife Lois are going to be judges, and former Survivor contestant, Gary Stritesky from Survivor Fiji is going to be a judge.  Should be a hoot.  

After that fundraiser, we are going to start another.  This one is actually going to be looking to raise some big money.  The goal is going to be to jump start our organization into a viable business that can empower groups, equip people, and lead adult short term mission trips.  I usually want to make it a point to not ask for money in these emails.  The goal is not asking for money.  It's asking you to be aware of the cause, encourage you to be a part of the "team"-  even from afar, and pray for us and our cause while we are gone.  However, soon we will be starting a crowd-funding campaign with a website called, "Start Some Good" dot org.  Obviously, to make it work, I have to get the word out.  So I will be asking people that feel like what we're doing is a good thing and something that could be done long term with many groups, and feel like maybe they are supposed to give to it, to give.  I don't usually ask for money.  But the owner of the company I work for has been working on me to be better about not being nervous and nimbly bimbly about asking for what we need.  If we don't ask, we don't get.  Nobody is obligated nor will it hurt our relationship if you don't feel called to give.  I will ask you to pray about it and pray for it.  In the mean time, please pray for God to reveal to me what level to go after.  I've been waffling between going whole hog and trying to raise enough to fund a staff person full time, and operating and start up costs, or just part time and operating/start up, or just start up.  Feedback?  

I am grateful for everyone that shares this mission trip with us.  We will be 27 people on the road, and 200 people praying and supporting and being a part of the team from wherever you are.  

It's going to be good.  

R

--
True faith is never found alone; it is accompanied by expectation.  --C.S. Lewis.

No comments: